Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Stanley Burke on Memorial Day 2015

Dad was sleeping when I called, so Rebecca, the new helping hand, described this morning's scene...

Da attended the Amherst Island Memorial Day event today, looking fantastic in his uniform. He was the only man there in uniform. With the help of several little children, Dad carried a wreath and laid it in place. I can just imagine. I thanked Rebecca for painting that picture in my mind. How I wish I could have been there. We live too far apart. Most of us are here in Vancouver, with only Dad and Peggie on Amherst. So it is. That's Dad with cousin Patrick Burke, the Dad with brother Brian Burke, and Peggie with me. Love those selfies. I couldn't find a shot of Dad in his uniform, though I know I've seen a good one, somewhere.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May 29, 2016 Would like to convey my sincere sympathy on the passing of Stanley. He and my husband, Jack McCann, were partners in the newspaper The Nanaimo Times and I have oh so many delightful memories of his visits to Nanaimo. A truly unique individual with whom I would like to share the dinner table with just one more time ...
Donneley McCann (donneley@hotmail.com)

Unknown said...

Thanks Donneley for your lovely thoughts. I wish I could do the same. More than a father and mentor, he was a great friend and we had such a wonderful time together. I know he was very fond of Jack. Funny, but I still feel really close to him. Much love, Holly.